Monday, September 12, 2005

The Measure of Mediocrity

The Measure of Mediocrity

The Emperor Trajan was according to Gibbon, recollected by the Romans as a Virtuous Prince (Decline B. I., C. III.). It is argued that he had an intense desire, with his adopted father Nerva, to put away the “crimes and follies” of Nero from the common mind and resurrect an era of peace and respect for thr traditions of the Republic. Trajan, was a military man, in his forties, a man of action who had lead the Legions in combat along the Danube. He was apparently a faithful pagan.

     Toward the beginning of the second century, war broke out with the Parthians (ancient Persia) and their client state Armenia (which stills bears the honourific today). Trajan rallied the chaotic Empire. He ensured the peace at home by enforcing a uniformity of citizenship and devotion to the fatherland. Then he marched on the enemy. Column, upon column of well trained battle hardened veterans, followed the man they loved, along roads forged by their predecessors. They moved swiftly and covered the course of Europe, coming to rest at the Eastern command post of Antioch, the city in which the followers of the Way, where first called Christians –the home Church of Paul the Apostle. This was the missionary sending church responsible in large part for the evangelization of the entire Empire.

     In that city was a thriving Christian community, and at its head, a literary giant and hero of the faith, their pastor, Ignatius. He had been a personal disciple of the Apostle John, he was an intimate friend of Polycarp. There is a legend, enduring and possible, although of uncertain veracity, that he was the child from the gospel who was called by the Saviour into the Apostle’s midst, “Assuredly I say unto you, unless you become as little child…(cf. Mt. 18:2).

     Having sought the favour of the gods, Trajan had decimated the Dacian Germans and secured the Western front for years to come. Now the ancient enemy would pay for exasperating the world’s greatest superpower! But it was essential that the Empire be united. Propaganda was essential, as Trajan well knew. These Christians, the followers of some slave who had been executed long ago, were a distraction, a disturbance. And the Parthians were declaring themselves protectors of the followers of this sect!

     Trajan was a man of liberal and virtuous temperament. Even if these people were crazy, Rome was extremely tolerant of Religion. It was pluralistic in outlook, and coveted the prayers given to any being that could bless it. The Christians could believe what they would, but they must declare themselves loyal to Rome. They must offer incense to the spirit, called in the Latin genius which protected the Emperor. It was to that great spirit’s favour that the Empire and Emperor owed its very survival. And Trajan would not see his genius offended, not on the brink of war. He issued an edict, all loyal citizens would make the sacrifice, or die.

     The Church of Antioch recorded the determination of her pastor upon hearing such a command, “Wherefore the noble soldier of Christ, Ignatius, being in the fear for the Church of the Antiochians, was in accordance with his own desire, brought before Trajan…” And when he was he preached to that great man, declared the Christians loyal subjects and himself innocent of treason… “No one ought to call Theophorus wicked…” But, “If because I am an enemy of these spirits of Rome you call me wicked in respect to them, I quite agree with you; for inasmuch as I have Christ the King of Heaven within me, I destroy all the devices of these evil spirits”. Trajan Answered incredulously, “Who is this Theoporous?”
     “He who has Christ within his breast.” Ignatius answered. The Emperor engaged in debate, perhaps he thought, if this great leader of this sect could be turned… He implicitly granted the assertion the Ignatius served a god,
     “Do we not seem to you to have the gods in our mind, whose assistance we enjoy in fighting against our enemies?” There was the opportunity for peace, for reconciliation. What should Ignatius do? What would you do?

     At the time of writing this, I am living in South East Asia, near Seoul Korea. I have been here for over a month. Outside of my employment, teaching English about thirty hours a week, I have no great responsibilities. My wife and I are using this opportunity to pay down student loans and so we have little disposable income. As a consequence I have peace, opportunity and time to be consumed with worship, to study the Scripture and devote myself to my relationship with Christ. And my wife and I have made some positive strides in that direction. But I must make a confession. I have failed to live up to the standards of my Saviour. I have failed to be in single minded devotion to Him.
     
     How many times have I spent my leisure watching television?  Or how many times have I made the discovery that the principle of sin is still present in Asia; because we cannot flee from ourselves. But the most disconcerting point is none of these. For we are weak and sinful creatures who can strive for, but will never reach perfection on this earth (Phil. 3:13). Yet, after all that, there is a secret shame that many of us feel.

     We must ask ourselves the question I have asked many times of myself, “Am I a Christ bearer?” Allow me to illustrate with a story from my own life. Many years ago, when I was around sixteen years old, I certified as a lifeguard and began to work for the City of Prince George, British Columbia. After a few weeks I began to become well acquainted with my coworkers, with whom, I spent in due course a large amount of time. We were, in that province one of the more advanced life guarding communities. Many were lifelong professionals, the pay was good and we trained constantly. Once per month we had a staff wide four hour in-service where we performed simulated rescues, CPR, O2 procedures and generally honed our skills. Afterward the contingent of younger staff, 16-25 (I was the only sixteen year old, the next was 19), would go out to a nice restaurant or pub and celebrate. After a while we, a group of about ten, began to have weekend BBQ’s and to meet on any occasion that came up.
     After about three months we had become close nit. I was offered a scholarship to play college hockey at a Christian liberal arts and Bible school, and made plans to attend in the fall. I told my friends the good news and one gal said, “A Bible school, I never took you for a religious guy.” She said it casually, and with a bit of respect. In fact my friends would go on to commend my faith as great, because I was still a fun guy. But I never heard any of it. When that first statement came out, I felt a dagger pierce my heart. I was reminded of Peter, when the cock crowed three times and  in that moment, I knew that by my lifestyle, if not my words I had denied my Lord.
     
     I felt sick, and I had to reevaluate my life. I went to church every Sunday, I even taught a Sunday school class. I went to youth group every Friday, and was a small group leader. I knew for certainty that my Saviour lived, and I knew that I lived in God’s world. What was wrong with me?
     In the book of Revelations, our Lord said to the Church at Laodicea, “I know your works that you are neither cold, nor hot. I could wish that you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold, nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth” (Rev. 3:15-16). I was lukewarm! I was a shame to my Saviour. Have you ever had lukewarm Coffee? Some people buy hot coffee, some people buy iced coffee, but have you ever heard of anyone ordering stale room temperature coffee? You know what I mean. You have been studying, or reading and that nice hot cup of java beside you has steadily cooled. You finally recall it and drink from its dregs, and if you are like me, you gag. It is horrific and if you are offended enough and propriety allows, you let it fall back in the cup and toss it down the sink.
     I don’t know if the coffee story relates to you. But it resonates with me. I love a good coffee. Some days I think my sanity relies on it. And then, when I should be most satisfied, that Luke warm coffee can really irritate me. And Oh my Lord, have I made you have that foul taste!? Have I offended you in this way over and over? Like me I think most believers must feel something of the agony of this admission. We are often lukewarm.

Jesus also said, “Whoever confesses me before men, Him will I confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him also I will deny before my Father” (Matt. 10:32,33). In that moment, when I was being praised for my inoffensive religious privacy, I made a decision. I swore to myself and to Christ that I would never again make that error I apologized on the spot for not being more open about what I believed to my friends and told them that it was important to me that they understood the faith and that I would be available to discuss it at any time.
     
I did have the opportunity to have many discussions after that, and God blessed some of them I believe in fruitful ministry. I have strived ever since then, to be the most open about my faith. Not offensive in spirit, word or action, but open, confident and willing to bear Christ with me wherever I go. And have I always succeeded? To my shame, and I am sure the great disappointment of my Master, I have failed many times. But when I am faithful, so is He and He has protected, strengthened, guided and directed me many times.

There is so much joy and satisfaction that can only be found in Christ, I am in agony as to why I allow the temporary pleasures of sin to drown out the faithful satisfaction, the all embracing Joy that is in obedience. Even as Christ, “for the joy set before Him, endured the cross” (Heb. 12:2), so also I can be joyful and content through any danger, trial or snare. Sin on the other hand is a cruel Master. For sin, the lure is pleasure. The pleasure is transient and though real at times it is often just illusory. And when it passed it always brings pain. So that for the pain and heartache set before me, I grasp at temporary pleasures, rather then revel in the joy that overcomes all suffering and magnifies all enjoyment.

I hope that you can understand some of what I am conveying of the depth of seriousness of this mediocrity. Let me summarize:

  1. It may mean that we are intellectual believers only, and not truly saved, “I know your works” The Saviour warns, “that you have a name that you are alive” I am a Christian, “But you are dead” (Rev. 3:1). As the sermon on the mount warns us, It doesn’t matter what our profession. It is not whether you call Christ ‘Lord, Lord’ that ensures entry into the Kingdom of Heaven. But “He who does the will of My Father” will enter, Jesus declares (Mt. 7:21). It is the Father’s will that we not merely profess Christ, but confess Christ. When push comes to shove, are you proud of your Lord, do you boast in His glory, or are you secretly, deep down inside ashamed of Him?

  2. It may mean that you are in need of a serious wake-up call. Is your life a muddle of halfhearted witness? Do you cover yourself in the bubble of Christendom, profess him loudly at Church and leave off the faith at work or school? Peter tells us, “But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts” That is make Him the master of your desires, wishes and actions, “and always be ready to give an answer” to defend the faith, to proclaim the gospel, “to anyone who asks you the reason, for the hope that is in you” (I Pet. 3:15).      
Why are they asking? The context (the verses surrounding this one) makes clear that this is written to ostracized and persecuted believers. Those publicly branded as Christ’s. Are you the sort of person that people ask about your faith? “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavour of what use is it? It is then good for nothing, but to be thrown out and trampled under foot” (Mt. 6:13). Salt in Jesus day was mixed with impurities. When the Salt itself was dissolved and only the grit of earth stone remained, it was thrown unto the streets. Beware, because if you are ashamed of your Lord now, He will be ashamed of you in heaven

     Now, if this strikes you as serious, and I pray to God that it does. Then let me invite you to seriously examine whether you are truly a Christ bearer, worthy of the name. Perhaps you know even now that you are not. Or you wish to explore in a serious way what the Christian faith is really about. What have the martyrs died for, what do the churches strive for, what do the saints hope for and who is this Christ they bear. Do you want to be a Christ bearer?  For Ignatius the answer was clear…
     

1 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great post, Chad.

I appreciated the examples both from the early church and your life. Both were challenging and exhorting to me.

Grace to you, Karmyn and all Theophorists,

Clint

 

Post a Comment

<< Home